Parent Teacher Conferences: New Model at the Lower School!
In response to feedback from both families and teachers, we are pleased to pilot a new 2017-18 conference model at the Lower School.
2017-18 Conference Dates:
- Wednesday, October 18, 2017 – Thursday, October 19, 2017
- Monday, January 22, 2018 – Tuesday, January 23, 2018*
- Wednesday, March 14, 2018 – Thursday, March 15, 2018
October 18-19 Conference Hours:
- Wednesday, October 18, 12:00 noon – 8:00pm
- Thursday, October 19, 8:00am – 6:00pm
- New this year — Childcare will be available for all conference hours
- Links were emailed to al LS families on Monday, October 2
- October conferences are an opportunity for goal setting and to learn more about your child’s progress.
- January conferences will be supported by a mid-year assessment documenting your child’s progress in both homeroom and special classes.
- March conferences will be followed in June with a full-year, narrative report.
- Stages I-III will have scheduled, 30-minute homeroom conferences and walk-in, individual conferences with specialist teachers. (Please allow for an extra hour to visit with specialist teachers)
- Stage IV will have scheduled, 20-minute homeroom conferences, scheduled 10-minute math conferences, and walk-in, individual conferences with specialist teachers. (Please allow for an extra hour to visit with specialist teachers)
A final note regarding new conference hours:
In direct response to family wishes for child care provision during all conference hours; the desire to avoid multiple trips back-and-forth for a half-day of school followed by evening conferences; and the need for many of our families to be home for bedtimes, mealtimes together, and outside of school afternoon/evening activities, you will note a shift in conference hours from prior years. This revision provides a wider variety of conference times, allowing for earlier morning and lunch hours in addition to evenings.
We recognize the great commitment involved for parents and teachers alike to be available for parent teacher conferences and appreciate your valuable investment of time and partnership. After October conferences, I welcome your feedback on the schedule as we roll out this new model.
Leslie Hosey, Ph.D.
Lower School Director
*As referenced in my parent letter from May of last year, the January conference model was drawn from a thoughtful proposal from Lower School teachers to further develop and engage as authentic partners with parents to support Roeper’s educational statement of purpose on a more personal and individual student level.