Lower School Director Leslie Hosey, Ph.D. ♦ Friday, October 13, 2017
Just a few quick reminders and announcements in this week’s letter:
- Conferences are October 18 and 19, and there is no school on Friday, October 20. Please arrive on time for your conferences. A gentle knock on the door is appropriate to alert teachers you are present and ready to begin.
- In addition to your scheduled conference, please plan additional time to meet with Specialist teachers.
- On October 27, the Admission’s Department will host a Pediatricians/Psychologist Breakfast, which will result in a very full parking lot that morning. Please plan to drop off your child curbside. Teachers will be available to assist with drop off at the curb. Thank you for your assistance in easing traffic.
- The Michigan Association of Gifted Children will host its annual convention at Roeper on October 21. Registration is still available at http://migiftedchild.org/
- Last week I provided some resources for engaging in conversations about media consumption and building a culture of mindfulness and empathy. This Forbes Magazine article by Jordan Shapiro offers a positive perspective about screen time engagement, and the role of parents as mediators: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanshapiro/2013/07/17/research-says-screen-time-can-be-good-for-your-kids/#152afe1d5823
In the coming weeks I will be providing information about the upcoming Intensives schedule, rationale, and goals. I look forward to seeing everyone at conferences next week!