At 3:15-4:30 on Thursday, May 26, the Roeper Middle School Student Government is sponsoring a march through Birmingham for all members of the Roeper community and their friends to advocate for political campaigning and discourse that is open-minded, respectful and supportive of people listening to and learning from each other. We will meet in the Birmingham gym at 3:15 to make signs for the march.
The signs will have slogans like:
- Name calling doesn’t belong in politics
- We students demand maturity in our politicians
- Shouting less & listening more = better democracy
- Talk with me not at me or about me or down to me
- Sound bites and one-liners do not a discussion make
- No one is too small to contribute or too big to listen
- Ask questions before making up your mind
- Roeper has taught me to be a citizen of the world
- We can always respectfully disagree
- Question authority & question your own beliefs
We invite you to walk with us and/or submit your slogan ideas to Emma Wine.
Slogans should be for a more mature dialogue and process and not against, favoring or mentioning a particular candidate.